K.N.Balgopal, Advocate (Supreme Court),
Office Delhi: 18/21, W.E.A. Karol Bagh,
New Delhi - 110 005. Phone: 5738647.
To: Shri R.Venkataraman, President of India,
President's House, New Delhi 110 001.
1st November, 1990.
Under instructions from my client Shri B.Premanand, Chettipalayam Road, Podanur 641 023 (Tamilnadu), I address you as under:
1. My client who is the Convenor of Indian Committee for Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal, Editor of Indian Skeptic and a Fellow of NCSTC, and an eminent citizen of India is pained to note your itinerary for 19.11.1990 as conveyed to him by the Press wherein you are supposed to inaugurate the Global Sai Conference at Prasanthi Nilayam in Puttaparthi which coincides with the birthday of one Sai Baba who is self styled/self-proclaimed avatar of Lord Shiva.
2. Sir, I have instructions to remind you that when you took the oath of office, you swore inter-alia to devote yourself to the service and well being of the people of India, and not to self-proclaimed godmen of India.
3. My client has further noted with pain the news published in a section of the Press that the army has been ordered to put up tents/shamianas in the said area. The use of the armed forces of a secular country for promoting the godmen of India will not only be a blatant abuse of the power, but a flagrant violation of the basic principle of Secularism enshrined in the Constitution.
4. Your association with such people having questionable reputation in the eyes of law and society at large, will lower not only your personal prestige, but will also disgrace your August status as the Constitutional Head of the Nation.
5. Our country is passing through a crucial phase in which communal frenzies have become the order of the day, and your participation in one such function at this juncture could further geopardise communal harmony in the country. At a time when the Nation's coffers are empty, such wasteful expenditure is unwarranted and avoidable.
6. I therefore on behalf of my client, very humbly request you not to participate in a function which is being organised by a person of questionable reputation who has perpetuated fraud on the Hindu religion by impersonating as God and by declaring himself as an Avatar of Lord Shiva, as admittedly even according to Hindu scriptures, Lord Shiva has no avatars.
The University of Regensburg neither approves nor disapproves of the opinions expressed here. They are solely the responsibility of the person named below.[email protected]
Last update: 22 July 1998